Although people usually think of court reporting as a boring job they must know that this kind of job could elicit exhilarating experience too. Many people think of this job as boring because they only thought of the paperwork these people do without knowing that they are able to witness the roller coaster ride of emotions during court trials.
Qualifications of a Court Reporter
Court reporters will only be qualified to do their job if they are able to pass the licensure examination performed by a group of court reporting experts. There are also organizations for court reporters and it would be best if a person is affiliated to one. In joining a certain organization for court reporters one of the prerequisites involves typing a 250 or 225 words within a minute.
In order to hone their skills further they are required to undergo examinations related to transcription, speed tests and writing examinations as well.
The Job of a Court Reporter
There are other services that court reporters are able to do aside from documentation and transcription of testimonies given by the people involve and the entire court proceedings in general.
– Record spoken dialogue with the help of different devices like audio and video records, covered microphones and stenography machines.
– State the identification of the speaker along with its gestures and movements.
– If the judge asks for a play back or a report of a certain part in the court trial they are also the ones who will do it.
– They can also ask the speakers to clarify their statements if it’s not audible or it’s unclear.
– Scan the notes that they have made with regards to the speakers’ names and any jargons they used.
– If there are certain errors in the transcripts, they are the ones who will edit it.
– They see to it that the copies of the transcripts are made available to all the people involved in the court proceedings.
– Transcription through TV or movie dialogue is also possible so as to help those viewers who have difficulties in their hearing.
Overall, those are just some of the common things that court reporters do. Good quality reports, these is the main objective of all court reporters, everything that is in their report must be factual and of course it should cover every detail of the court procedure. Court reporters or court stenographers should have exemplary skills in grammar, spelling and punctuation since their task is mainly involve in creating good reports. With that being said, it only means one thing court reporters should be knowledgeable in written and spoken language.
As much as possible, they need to have background knowledge of the case so as the content of their litigation report is on point.